10 December, 2008

My Life as a Roller Coaster

I have never in my life been on such a ride before.  Every day, every minute is a new emotion as I discover my new life here in Ethiopia.  This is something I never anticipated or prepared for, but I am trying to accept and process each new and mixed emotion as it comes.  I feel like I am on the edge of a breakdown one minute and completely at home the next.  The smallest gesture or smile will bring a tear to my eye, and most of the time I cannot figure out if I am happy, sad or overwhelmed.
 
All of these emotions have made me question my whole experience, which is also something I did not prepare for.  I have been so certain that Peace Corps is the right choice for me for months now, and so it never crossed my mind that I would question things once I got here.  However, I now find myself questioning who I am, why I am here, what my purpose in life really is, and how I can truly help this world.


 
I have also realized in the past week that I love a grand challenge.  I have experienced more bizarre moments throughout this past week than I have in the whole of my life prior to this week.  I am living with an Ethiopian family, who does not speak English, and whose customs are vastly different from anything I have experienced before. I have bathed from a bucket, dodged cattle on the main road of my town, and survived a pit latrine.  I would say I am adjusting to the culture pretty well.


 
The group of 40 Peace Corps volunteers has been scattered around the town of Ambo, Ethiopia living with host families for the next 10 weeks. Each day we spend hours in class learning the local Amharic language, cultural lessons, and technical job training.  Each night we return home to our host families where just about anything is bound to happen.  The other volunteers are such a great support group; hearing everyone's incredibly different host family stories and bonding through our shared awkward moments thus far is vital.  I value these new friendships and their support through this roller coaster of emotions.

 
Tonight is night three with my host family, the Bokosa Family (although they do not have a family name like at home, but Bokosa is my host father's name).  I am still figuring out how everyone is related as they do not have a word in Amharic for cousin, so each new relative is translated to me as brother or sister.  My main liaison is Almaz, my host family sister, who is in her late twenties and her son Naboni, who will turn five on Christmas (which is January 7th here).   We spend much of the time with her 5 "sisters" who are all around her age and live about a block away.  It is a group of wonderful women and when we visit with them only one thing is guaranteed: plenty of laughing!  I am pretty sure a majority of the laughing is directed towards me and my broken Amharic, but when I step out of the situation I realize how hilarious this whole thing is and I join in the laughter.

 
My family here has seen pictures of all of those wonderful people I love back home.  I showed them the small photo album I brought and explained in broken Amharic/English each picture. They all smiled so big at the end and said "Conjo. Conjo."  It means good; beautiful; the best. They are right.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I cannot believe you are living with a family that does not speak english. That is just crazy! I hope they have a moon there! Do they have electricity/running water?! I love you!

Unknown said...

Jenn,
It sounds like Ethiopia is going well. I am definitely keeping you in my prayers. Love reading your blog. I am so proud of you (:
Love,
Rachel

Ke Ji said...

I love you Jenn! I'm praying for you daily, and I'm so glad you have a support group and shared passion in the other volunteers.
Miss you so,
Ke

LM said...

Hi Jenn,

Wow. I just teared up a little bit reading your latest entry. I think it may be because I have experienced a tiny taste of how you feel, being in Malawi for a couple of weeks last summer. I know it doesn't compare to moving there.

I was motivated to check your blog because I'm studying so many organisms in microbiology that affect people in areas with "fecal water contamination, like rural Africa" so be careful! Also watch out for tse-tse flies and female mosquitoes!

You should also probably know that on Wikipedia, the entry on your new town reads, "Ambo is a spa town in central Ethiopia." You might want to edit that because it does not sound like you are roughing it.

I hope if/when you have time to travel out of Ambo you go to see a rock hewn church like the one in Lalibela. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lalibela. We studied them in art history, and they inspire awe in me. And I think you are awesome. You are in my prayers.

Lois

Jessie said...

wow, im sitting in the library and reading that made me cry.. mildly embarrassing (but i think i covered pretty well).
im praying for you and your host family, im so glad you can share in their laughter.. pretty unbelievable how some things really are universal!
i love you and i am so proud of your courage!!
~jessie

Anonymous said...

Jenn you are writing so much! I am so happy we can stay updated on your life! it sounds so amazing and you made me cry with your stories, enjoy yourself and be safe, i love you!
sara

Marian White said...

Jenn!!!! you are absolutely amazing and I am SO proud to call you one of my friends. I just read your blog and really started tearing up. I am praying for you! stay safe and have such a great holiday season!! I cant wait to read all of your blog entries!! Love you

Marian

Anonymous said...

Jenn! I'll be the only boy to comment. lol. That blog post is intense! I can't really imagine living with such a different and diverse family. Crazyness. I know you'll do great. You've already had 2 months of training. Keep up the amazing blogs! I feel like I'm sweating with you in the African jungle with your detailed posts! And i know you're good at this, you're had good practice while i watched.... be safe and love you ms. jenn!