05 December, 2008

Arriving in Ethiopia

 After making a medical stop for malaria pills and a shot, we were dropped off on the curb of Dulles airport with our piles of luggage.  A very long single-file line later and we had checked our big suitcases into Ethiopian Airlines and each received our precious plane ticket.  I have been eating "last meals" three times a day for a couple months now, but finally it was time to truly eat our last American meal for 27 months.  I awarded that honor to an airport cheeseburger and French fries.
I hardly slept on the 15-hour trip but I was entertained by the scenery as our "non-stop" flight landed in Rome to refuel for an hour.  I had just a peak at Italy before continuing to our final destination.  As we flew over Egypt I kept looking over Sammy in his window seat, mesmerized by the desert below.  


We arrived in Addis at 7:30 pm, and I still did not fully comprehend the distance we had just traveled.  Peace Corps staff met us and we all piled our luggage onto carts, each piece identified with a traditional red yarn tied to it.  We exited customs pushing our carts in a single-file line like a line of ants carrying their weights-worth of precious matter.  The crowd that was gathered outside customs waiting for their arriving loved ones, was so similar to the airport in Atlanta, and yet with all eyes on us it didn't feel the same in any way.


We followed our PC staff to our buses in the parking lot and about half way there the parking lot lights completely shut off.  Completely pitch black.  Several people found packed-away flashlights allowing us to continue and eventually the lights came back on.  Some subtle, and some not-so-subtle differences on the way to the hotel added to my initial cultural impression.  Ethiopians are more caring than anyone I have ever met…. But be careful crossing the streets!  I noticed huge intersections without traffic lights and open meat markets like you could not find in the States.  I also couldn't believe how helpful the hotel staff was towards us, hauling our over-weight bags up three flights of stairs faster than I could walk it!
 
Since our arrival we have continued with our orientation in various areas to prepare us for the departure to Ambo on Sunday.  In Ambo we will move in with host families and attend training classes that include culture, health and language for 10 weeks.  Considering we are volunteers, I have been so impressed with the amount of goodies we have been provided.  Not only have I been completely full with delicious food since stepping foot here, but we were outfitted with cell phones and water purification kits today. We were also told about our lockable metal trunk, mosquito nets, and buckets awaiting us with our anxious host families.  


I could not be more blessed having this incredible experience.  I have been thinking about my wonderful friends back home a lot lately and hope you are doing well.  Keep in touch and I love each of you!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I still can't get over you seeing Egypt from the air. That is amazing! Thank you for posting so soon! I thought it would be weeks!

The moon is 1/2 full here! :) How is it where you live?!

I love you!

Anonymous said...

I have to second Robyn on the Egypt comment! I am so excited to hear from you so soon, too. I figured it would at least be a week.

I laughed at the comment about the lights though. In Guatemala, the lights would just go off and people would just continue like it didn't happen, haha.

I can't wait to hear more!!!
:)