03 November, 2010

First Impressions

It’s still too soon to process the transition to America, but for now I thought I’d list all my first impressions and things that I was surprised by/forgot existed.

•    Eating with my left hand (in Ethiopia it isn’t culturally appropriate)
•    Saying “ishee” (“ok” in Amharic)
•    Having all menu items actually available
•    Going barefoot
•    Sprinklers
•    Car washes
•    Always saying “thank you” (not cultural in Ethiopia)
•    Everything is normal- that’s weird
•    Picking up dog poop
•    Sleeping in. Having quietness.
•    Being a face in the crowd
•    Realizing how HARD life is in Ethiopia. Life here can be hard too, but a different kind of hard. Always being “on” in Ethiopia and knowing people are always watching is draining. It’s just so nice to be “off.” Peace Corps really is a 24-7 job.
•    Indoor carpeting in public places
•    Choices!

The samples lady at Costco was announcing, “Give it a try.  Fully cooked, just heat it and eat it!”  I thought, really? Are those qualities you want in your food? Frozen and processed? Hmmm. Guess I view food differently now that I’ve seen what “fresh” can really mean.

Another day, a little boy walked up to my friend and me eating ice cream outside Baskin Robbins with Arbay, my dog, tied up under the table. He asked, “May I pet her?” WHAT? My wild dog? You aren’t afraid of her? I love how Americans love dogs. I forgot dogs are treated so well here! It made my day (which is a big deal considering I was also eating ice cream for the first time)!

More thoughts to come…

No comments: