03 September, 2010

Comparing Kenya


Arriving in Nairobi I had very few expectations for Kenya, but soon found myself caught up in a comparative state-of-mind which is ever so popular in Ethiopia.  I would see a street of vegetable stands and think to myself, that’s just like Ethiopia. And then I would see the smooth unbroken sidewalk and think, wow that’s something Ethiopia doesn’t have! But at the end of the day I realized how the two countries cannot be compared, mainly because ones reasons for visiting either Ethiopia or Kenya are vastly different.  In Ethiopia you would find castles, monasteries and rock-hewn churches, while in Kenya you’d find lions and beaches.  Each country offers unique opportunities that you’d be blessed to experience.

Day two in Kenya and we headed out on a safari ready to have one of those experiences Ethiopia doesn’t offer.  Since I had already been on a safari with my family last December in Tanzania I also had a bit of expectations in my mind for the safari, but tried my best to not compare the adventures.  One main reason comparing would be unfair here is because while my family treated me to a luxury safari, Chris and I were doing it as budget as they come.  So budget that we found ourselves in a car with five other tourists, one of which had lost a bet; That’s right, our safari was someone else’s torture.

After dropping our bags off at the campsite we got back in the car for our first game drive.  I cannot deny that I was a little under impressed when the first picture stop was made for wildebeests and zebras while everyone else snapped away, giddy as first-timers should be.  I found myself having thoughts of a safari snob, wondering how soon we’d get to see some real safari animals.  As we bounced our way along the dirt roads of the Masai Mara NR  I began to remember my first day on safari last December, which was probably less than a hundred miles south across the Tanzania border.  That first day, especially when you have a lucky game drive, is irreplaceable.  Seeing that sparkle in everyone’s eyes as National Geographic scenes unfolded in real life made me smile; I remembered that feeling too.
I opened my eyes anew as we pulled up to see eight lion cubs playing around in Mother Nature’s version of a playground.  I’d never seen anything like that before, it was like watching a bunch of toddlers, or puppies all piling on top of each other and teasing one another.  At that moment I was reassured that whether you pay for luxury or have to zip up your own tent at night, the animals are the same, and they are amazing (ask our bet-losing new friend and she will agree).  The first two hours, as we rushed to see all we could before sunset, were about as great as any two hours could be.  Four grown lions, eight cubs, eight elephants, two giraffes, buffaloes, zebras, wildebeests galore; a lucky day indeed!
 

The safari continued for a couple more days, as did our minibus’s fun, but by the end of it we were satisfied with the animal sightings and very ready for smooth pavement.  When the tires hit that first patch of asphalt our bodies didn’t even know how to react it was so serene.  Second safari down, and I have a feeling there will be more in my future. The majestic atmosphere of watching nature’s beasts in the wild is too addicting to call that my last safari.

No comments: