30 August, 2010

Ethiopia Through New Eyes


This week I’ve had the privilege of introducing one of my good friends from home, Chris, to Ethiopia.  It’s been filled with adventures and bus rides, but one of my favorite things is hearing his impressions of life here, giving me a new perspective of seeing things.  Being here for over a year and a half I have certainly become adjusted to life and I often don’t see the peculiar things anymore.  I love the comfort this brings to my everyday life; seeing all these things as normal makes me feel more at home.  But it is refreshing to hear about all the surprising parts of Ethiopia which once also stunned me.  I’ve decided to make a list to share so that you can all start to understand the basic differences which I somehow find normal.

•    Constant reminders from locals to “eat!”
•    Affection between guy friends: holding hands, hugging, etc
•    People feed you by hand as a sign of respect
•    Coffee cups between the three rounds of coffee are often mixed up but we never question which we receive
•    Showers are optional
•    Time here is six hours off (noon = 6:00)
•    It is 2002
•    Ethiopians are deathly afraid of dogs/puppies
•    Animal dodging while in minibuses
•    People in the middle of nowhere – people are everywhere
•    Injera for every meal is common

More updates to come about my travels!



No comments: