11 February, 2010

55 Days of Fasting

This past Monday officially started the 55 days of fasting before Easter for all Orthodox Christians in Ethiopia. “Fasting” includes not eating until noon everyday, and never eating any animal products (milk, butter, eggs, meat, etc., aka a vegan diet).  ‘Why 55 days?’ you ask.  Well, I’ve been told many reasons, but the leading theory is because throughout the year every Wednesday and Friday is fasting, so they fast for the 40 days of Lent, plus the days they would have already been fasting.

Sunday night before fasting began was practically a holiday here as everyone binged on meat products! My supervisor in town invited me out to dinner for tebs, little pieces of cooked meat with injera.  The restaurant was filled to capacity with people getting their last fix of meat.

Last year I watched in amazement at the dedication Ethiopians have with this fasting schedule.  Orthodox butchers actually close shop for the fast!  Last year one of the volunteers decided to follow the fast and I remember thinking how unrealistic that sounded, but here I am a year later, 4 days into the Fasika tsom (Easter fast)! 


I have decided to see if I can stick to the diet until Easter, although I have been eating my breakfast still.  I figure starving myself isn’t going to help anyone.  Plus, they don’t even drink water before noontime, and since I try to run in the mornings that would be unhealthy to follow I figure.  Trust me, sorting through my food, avoiding anything egg or milk is hard enough! I rarely eat meat from a butcher here, but eggs are a regular part of my diet (scrambled eggs with injera is one of my favorite things to order when eating out), and any food I have from America seems to include something I’m not allowing myself to eat (especially that Valentines Day candy!).  Luckily, during the fast most restaurants don’t even offer anything but fasting food which lessens temptations when I’m not at home.

The children on my compound were playing in my house the other day and asked for caramela (candy) and I told them that I was sorry, but all the candy I have right now isn’t fasting candy.  This followed with the kids trying to convince me that Wednesday and Fridays during Easter fasting aren’t fasting days.  Haha. I’m no fool.  I don’t think my landlord’s family is too strict with fasting, but if I can’t eat the Reese’s than neither can they!


Grabbing some vegan delights on the post-MSC trip!
 
I think the hardest part of this challenge will be next week while in Addis for my group’s Mid-Service Conference, and the following week, which I’ll be traveling.  My favorite thing about being in Addis is loading up on ferengi food, including cheese!  I’ll keep my blog updated with my progress during the next 55 days.  And I’ll be looking forward to packages around Easter time filled with milky delights!

No comments: