13 November, 2009

Back to Finding Work

Since my raffle project ended a few weeks ago, life has slowed down considerably. I am falling back into my routines in town, making the rounds to have coffee with neighbors I haven’t hung out with in a while. Work is slow again, but I’m dealing with a lot of little projects including teaching the high school anti-AIDS club, trying to get funding for a group of commercial sex workers to start a restaurant, and my favorite, playing with these ten boys who are living in a house together for three months.


This house, funded by CVM, is supposed to take these ten boys, between 12-14 years old, and improve their behavior. Some are troubled children, most are missing at least one parent, and they all have been working on the streets, selling peanuts and lottery tickets to help support themselves. For three months they live together and are not suppose to go anywhere besides school, including visits to their families. Meaning, in some ways, they are each other’s family for three months, and in turn, I’ve come to think of them as family too. They have been living together for two months now, and I find myself going to hangout with them almost daily now that my raffle project is finished.
 


One of my favorite parts of going to play with the boys is that they love my dog. I have so much fun watching them run around with her. She gets to be a puppy with them, and that makes me happy. The boys also have one girl, Tigist, who cooks food for them and supervises them. I have come to adore Tigist, who is about my age, and respect her so much, because as much as I enjoy playing with the boys on occasion, taking care of the little troublemakers would be out of my league. She is such a strong woman and our friendship, even though it is completely in Amharic, is so special to me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jennifer,
I am enjoying your blog postings so much! Loved the raffle story (you are so creative!) and the many other stories. You certainly have a flair for writing, and I can see writing in your future somehow. I know you will make the most of your remaining time in Africa and are looking forward to your family's Christmas visit!
Very best wishes from a fan!
Cassie Hutchins