21 June, 2009

Reading List


Since arriving in Ethiopia, just over 6 months ago, I have read quite a few books. Not as many as some people, in fact I hardly read at all during the first 10 weeks of training, but more pleasure reading than I had time for during all 4 years of college. Reading has becoming part of my every day routine, so I thought I would give you an idea of the kind of reading I have been doing.   

One read even inspired my dog’s name, Arbay. I was reading Robinson Crusoe when I got her, and decided to use a variation of the Amharic word for “Friday” because it was what Crusoe named his first friend. “Arbay” literally means “my Friday” which is perfect, because in many ways she is my best friend these days. (That isn’t supposed to sound pitiful, but wonderful, because everyone needs a dog who understands you on bad days!)

So far, I have read the following books: 
  • Catcher In The Rye
  • Into The Wild
  • The Alchemist
  • Robinson Crusoe
  • 90 Minutes In Heaven
  • Searching For God Knows What
  • Three Cups of Tea
  • First They Killed My Father
  • Atlas Shrugged
  • The Lost Boys of Sudan
  • Mountains Beyond Mountains
  • Twilight
  • Shah of Shahs
  • Do Hard Things

Currently I am reading the rest of the Twilight series and loving the recent recommendation (seriously, they are great books, you all should read them). There are several books on my shelf that have arrived in the mail in the past couple months that I will be picking up soon, but I am also up for other suggestions, so keep the books coming!
 
I have been loving inspiration non-fiction; it is motivating me through these tough days. All snail mail is appreciated, so keep the letters coming!

No comments: