03 February, 2009

My Wandering Thoughts

The last week, since arriving back at training from my site visit, has slowly progressed, bringing us to week 9 of training.  Being back in Ambo has brought many comforts, as I consider my room here a pseudo home, and I realized while away how much I missed my host family.  This past week has also made me appreciate my family of fellow trainees, especially with the departure of two friends.  Our group of 40 is now down to 38, making last week a roller coaster of emotions in itself. Back-to-back days of departures left our group a little shaken-up.  I think many of us had a naive hope that our group would defy the odds and stick together until the end, but fate is often times out of our hands.
 

My extended host family.
Each left for very a different reason, and each departure also left me with a head full of new thoughts.  First reactions included shock and sadness, followed by the realization of how close I am to home.  Seeing a friend leave made me imagine what it would be like arriving back in Atlanta in just a few days.  I had not seriously imagined leaving all of this yet. In a way, imagining that became tempting, and I realized that I could regain all those comforts I miss in what seemed like the snap of a finger.
 
My life is completely different than it was just two months ago, and many days I crave pieces of my life from America, but more than that I want an adventure here in Ethiopia.  I am not at all ready to go home; in fact, I haven't even begun my journey as a volunteer yet.  All of these thoughts were a bizarre mental exercise, which made Ethiopia seem almost too close to home, and it made my time here feel almost too temporary.  As you can tell by my scattered thoughts, my mind is still wandering somewhere between American and Africa.  At the end of the day, I am missing my departed friends, but I am still hopeful and looking forward to everything Ethiopia has to offer.

Peace Corps training lunch table.

In the meantime, I am ever so ready to swear-in as an official Peace Corps Volunteer.  I love spending time with the trainees. The companionship of anyone who speaks English fluently, comprehends my sarcasm, and understands Western culture will never be under-appreciated again. I am also ready though to begin what a came here to do—whatever that might be.  Just over a week now until I move from Ambo to my site where I get to start setting up my new house, and my new life in Dangila.  I am scared and clueless, but also anxious and prepared.  Life is meant to be a daring adventure, and I intend to keep it that way.

No comments: